Text-Book of Osteopathy
American College of Mechano-Therapy
GENERAL OSTEOPATHIC TREATMENT
Uses - A general treatment is indicated
for the correction of nerve troubles and general circulation.
Patient reclines on table, lying on the side.
Relax the tissues of the back by the following methods:
1. Stand in front of patient and grasp uppermost
arm. Relax the tissues about the shoulders and down to the spine
and back with the other hand. Hold the arm at the elbow, and
using the joint as a lever, work the arm back and forth. By
this means the spine is manipulated and any deviation corrected.
2. With patient in same position, place one
hand beneath the neck and grasp the occiput. Rest the other
side of the patient's head against your breast, and apply traction
to the tack and upper dorsal region.
3. Place one elbow on the hip and the other
on the shoulder. Stretch the spine by extending the arms and
stretching the hips away from the shoulder.
4. Manipulate the shoulder. Pull up
the scapula with one hand, while with the other press the shoulder.
5. Place one hand under patient's scapula
and grasp the shoulder with the other hand. Then rotate the
6. Manipulate the limbs by seizing the limb
in both hands, relaxing all tissues with a rotary movement of the
7. Manipulate the spine by pulling it toward
you, while patient is lying on his side with knees flexed and braced
8. Turn patient on other side and repeat
9. Place patient face downward, with toes
extended and arms hanging down over the sides of the table.
Describe a circular movement with the palms of the hands, at the same
time apply pressure, to relax all contracted tissues of the back.
Pull the muscles away from the spine with the fingers.
10. With the patient lying in a prone position,
stand at one side of the table and grasp the hip of patient on further
side in front. Apply pressure up and down the spine with the
heel of the other hand, while pulling the hip upward. Treat
11. Patient in same position. Operator
stands at head of the table. Apply considerable pressure on
each side of the spine with the thumbs.
12. Raise the limbs in one arm and rotate
them, while applying considerable pressure at the lower part of the
abdomen with the other hand.
13. Apply pressure to lower part of spine
while one limb is raised. Raise the other limb and repeat the